Announcements : Summer/Fall 2021 Update
Due to COVID safety concerns, the University of Rochester has made the difficult decision to cancel all summer 2021 education abroad programming.
The Center for Education Abroad (CEA) is excited to announce that we are reviewing a select number of education abroad program applications for the fall 2021 semester! The final University decision on fall 2021 travel has not yet been determined, however CEA has opened these applications to give students time to complete their applications in the event that the final University decision is to restart travel.
Explore this list of the programs we are evaluating this fall:
- IES Abroad Dublin - Business, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- IES Abroad Dublin - Irish Studies
- IES Abroad Dublin Direct Enrollment - Dublin City University
- IES Abroad Dublin Direct Enrollment - Trinity College
- University College Dublin
- DIS - Study Abroad in Stockholm, Sweden - All program tracks
- DIS - Study Abroad in Copenhagen, Denmark - All program tracks
- IES Abroad London - Health Practice & Policy
- IES Abroad London - Study London
- EPA Internships in Europe: Edinburgh Semester Program
- EPA Internships in Europe: London Semester Program
- City, University of London
- University of Bristol
- Advanced Studies in England
- ROC Galapagos- Faculty Led
The review and selection process to approve programs was thorough and based on several factors including but not limited to: host country border restrictions, host program’s on-site student support, healthcare availability, CDC COVID-19 risk levels, vaccination mandates, quarantine/travel requirements and, the financial risk to both students and the institution; should a program be canceled or students recalled home due to health and safety risks.
The list of programs that have been approved has met CEA’s high standards mentioned above at the time of their review. All programs will continue to be monitored throughout the application process and leading up to dates of departure. There is the possibility that previously closed programs may open if there are significant positive changes and there is still time for students to complete the application process.
If a program has significant changes (e.g. host country closes border to U.S. flights or program is canceled by the host institution), CEA may need to cancel a previously approved program. If a program is canceled, you will be contacted immediately.
As you consider applying to one of the above programs, please keep in mind the following:
- If this is not your final opportunity to go abroad during your academic program, consider waiting for a future term when there may be more open programs and fewer restrictions due to the pandemic.
- Choose airlines and flights that have change fee waivers or travel insurance should your plans change unexpectedly.
- Research your destination of interest to better understand what day-to-day life may be like as pandemic restrictions continue in many countries.
- Non-Rochester program applications will not be accepted for the fall 2021 term
- Discuss your program options with a CEA Advisor email@example.com
While there are many factors to consider, we are thrilled to be able to once again accept applications for in-person international experiences!
Approved fall 2021 programs are now open for applications through the Education Abroad Portal. The fall application deadline is April 1st. Due to the reduced number of programs and limited enrollment spots, it is advised to submit your application as soon as possible before the deadline. Priority review will be given to seniors, students in majors that require an education abroad experience, and students who are limited in when they can go abroad due to academic requirements. If you have previously participated in a Rochester abroad program, you may not qualify as a priority applicant for the fall 2021 term.
You are encouraged to make an advising appointment with a CEA advisor to discuss your program plans. You can schedule a virtual appointment here. The CEA office will also be holding virtual information sessions where you can ask questions and learn more about the approved fall programs.
Thank you for your ongoing patience as CEA and the University have worked to ensure the safest and rewarding program opportunities for both your personal and academic goals.